Certification and License Disclosure by State

The addiction treatment and prevention services minor, certificate and HDFS Master’s programs may meet the specific addiction educational requirements in most states and may lead to certification or licensure depending on the track selected. Many students completing our programs pursue professional licensure or certification in their state of residence. Licensing requirements vary from state to state and are subject to change. CASAT has created a list of states in which our program curricula may meet professional certification or licensure requirements. For more information on certified or licensed drug and alcohol counselor requirements by state please see below.

Updated: June 2023

StateMeet Educational Requirements for Certificate/ Licensure?Certificate/ LicenseState Licensing AgencyContact InformationWebsite
AlabamaHas not been determinedAlabama Association of Addiction Counselor Certification Board(256) 432-2781
Alabama State Website
AlaskaHas not been determinedAlaska Commission for Behavioral Health Certification(907) 332-4333
(907) 339-8006
Alaska State Website
ArizonaHas not been determinedArizona State Board of Behavioral Health Examiners(602) 542-1882Arizona State Website
ArkansasHas not been determinedArkansas State Board of Examiners of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors(501) 295-1100Arkansas State Website
CaliforniaResource PageCalifornia Department of Health Care Servicesdhcscocomplaint @dhcs.ca.govCalifornia State Website
YesCertified Alcohol & Other Drug CounselorCalifornia Association of DUI Treatment Programs (CADTP)1 (800) 464-3597California State Website
YesCertified Addiction Treatment Counselors California Association for Alcohol and Drug Educators (CAADE)(707) 722-2331California State Website
YesLAADCCalifornia Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP)(916) 338-9460California State Website
ColoradoHas not been determinedColorado State Board of Addiction Counselor Examiners(303) 894-7800Colorado State Website
ConnecticutHas not been determinedConnecticut State Department of Public Health(860) 509-7603Connecticut State Website
DelawareHas not been determinedBoard of Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Professionals(302) 744-4500 Delaware State Website
District of ColumbiaHas not been determinedDistrict of Columbia Department of Health, Health Regulation and Licensing Administration(877) 672-2174District of Colombia Website
FloridaHas not been determinedThe Florida Certification Board(850) 222-6314Florida State Website
GeorgiaHas not been determinedAlcohol & Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia(770) 825-0481Georgia State Website
GuamHas not been determinedGuam Board of Allied Health Examiners(671) 735-7409Guam Website
HawaiiHas not been determinedState of Hawaii Department of Health, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division(808) 692-7506Hawaii State Website
IdahoHas not been determinedIdaho Board of Alcohol/Drug Counselor Certificationibadcc@ibadcc.orgIdaho State Website
IllinoisHas not been determinedIllinois Certification Board(217) 698-8110Illinois State Website
IndianaHas not been determinedIndiana Professional Licensing Agency, Behavioral Health & Human Services(317) 232-2960Indiana State Website
IowaHas not been determinedIowa Board of Certification(515) 965-5509
Iowa State Website
KansasHas not been determinedKansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board(785) 296-3240Kansas State Website
KentuckyHas not been determinedKentucky Board of Alcohol and Drug Counselors(502) 782-8814Kentucky State Website
LouisianaHas not been determinedLouisiana Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority(225) 361-0698Louisiana State Website
MaineHas not been determinedMaine Board of Alcohol & Drug Counselors(207) 624-8674Maine State Website
MarylandHas not been determinedMaryland Department of Health, Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists(410) 764-4740Maryland State Website
MassachusettsHas not been determinedMassachusetts Bureau of Substance Addiction Services(781) 774-6627Massachusetts State Website
MichiganHas not been determinedMichigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals(517) 347-0891Michigan State Website
MinnesotaHas not been determinedMinnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy(651) 201-2756
Minnesota State Website
MississippiHas not been determinedMississippi Department of Mental Health, Division of Professional Licensure and Certification(601) 359-1288
Mississippi State Website
MissouriHas not been determinedMissouri Credentialing Board(573) 616-2300
Missouri State Website
MontanaHas not been determinedMontana Board of Behavioral Health(406) 841-2300
Montana State Website
NebraskaHas not been determinedNebraska Department of Health and Human Services(402) 471-2117Nebraska State Website
NevadaYesCADC-I, CADC, LADCNevada State Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug and Gambling Counselors(775) 689-0563 
Nevada State Website
New HampshireHas not been determinedNew Hampshire Board of Licensing for Alcohol and Other Drug Use Professionals(603) 271-2152New Hampshire State Website
New JerseyHas not been determinedNew Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, Alcohol and Drug Counselor Committee(973) 504-6369New Jersey State Website
New MexicoHas not been determinedNew Mexico Regulation & Licensing Department, Board of Counseling and Therapy Practice(505) 476-4610New Mexico State Website
New YorkHas not been determinedNew York State Offie of Addiction Services and Supports(518) 473-3460
New York State Website
North CarolinaHas not been determinedNorth Carolina Addictions Specialist Professional Practice Board(919) 832-0975North Carolina State Website
North DakotaHas not been determinedNorth Dakota Board of Addiction Counseling Examiners(701) 255-1439
North Dakota State Website
OhioHas not been determinedOhio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board(614) 387-1110 Ohio State Website
OklahomaHas not been determinedOklahoma State Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors(405) 521-0779Oklahoma State Website
OregonHas not been determinedAdditional hours maybe requiredMental Health & Addiction Certification Board of Oregon(503) 231-8164
Oregon State Website
PennsylvaniaHas not been determinedPennsylvania Certification Board(717) 540-4455Pennsylvania State Website
Puerto RicoHas not been determinedPuerto Rico Administracion de Servicios de Salud Mental y Contra la Adiccion(787) 763-7575Puerto Rico Website
Rhode IslandHas not been determinedRhode Island Department of Health(401) 222-5960Rhode Island State Website
South CarolinaHas not been determinedAddiction Professionals of South Carolina(803) 540-7502South Carolina State Website
South DakotaHas not been determinedSouth Dakota Board of Addiction and Prevention Professionals(605) 224-1721South Carolina State Website
TennesseeHas not been determinedTennessee Board of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors1 (800) 778-4123
Tennessee State Website
TexasHas not been determinedTexas Health and Human Services, Regulatory Services(512) 438-5446Texas State Website
UtahHas not been determinedUtah Department of Commerce, Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing(801) 530-6628Utah State Website
VermontHas not been determinedVermont Office of Professional Regulation(802) 828-1505

Vermont State Website
Virgin IslandsHas not been determinedU.S. Virgin Islands Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs, Board of Licensed Counselors & Examiners(340) 713-3522 (St. Croix)
(340) 693-8036 (St. John)
(340) 714-3522 (St. Thomas)

Vermont State Website
VirginiaHas not been determinedVirginia Department of Health Professions, Board of Counselingcoun@dhp.virginia.govVirginia State Website
WashingtonNoRequires courses in Abnormal Psychology.

Students may be able to meet this requirement through electives offered by the University. Contact your advisor if you seek a license or certification in this state.
Washington State Department of Health(360) 236-4700
Washington State Website
West VirginiaHas not been determinedWest Virginia Certification Board for Addiction & Prevention Professionals(304) 768-2942West Virginia State Website
WisconsinYesWisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services(608) 266-2112 Wisconsin State Website
WyomingHas not been determinedWyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board(307) 777-3628Wyoming State Website